On July 10, 2022, US TV channel CNN titles
Russian strike on residential building kills 15 in eastern Ukraine, officials say
At least 15 people have been killed after a Russian strike hit an apartment block in the Donetsk region in eastern Ukraine, Ukrainian authorities said Sunday, adding that many others may still be trapped under the rubble.
The residential building in the town of Chasiv Yar was hit on Saturday evening as Russia once again ramped up its assault on cities and towns in eastern Ukraine in an attempt to take control over the entire Donbas area.
The State Emergency Service said that the bodies of 15 people had been found in the rubble so far and that the search and rescue works continued
First a quote, then the allegation of a residential building, no precision, no questioning of the Ukrainian authorities, who are Pavlo Kyrylenko, the governor of the territories still under Ukraine control in Donetsk People’s Republic, incidentally reporter and photograph for Western media. The same photo and an almost identical text have been already broadcasted across Europe. Kyrylenko has written on Telegram at 6:00 am UT
At least three dozen people are under the rubble of a 5-story building in Chasovoy Yar, which last night the Russians attacked with missiles from Hurricanes [BM-27 self-propelled 220 mm multiple rocket launcher, Uragan].
Two entrances to the building were completely destroyed. Rescue workers are working on the spot – they are trying to save those who were under the rubble. According to local residents, there are most likely at least 34 people, including a 9-year-old child.
So far, rescuers have managed to establish contact with two people who were under the ruins.
The rescue operation is ongoing.
They were able to bring 6 dead and 5 wounded to the surface
The governor has published other photos on Telegram, including this one
Have you noticed ? The injured man is a service member. Kyrylenko has published ten (nice) photos, taken in the night or morning. Except rescuers, many service members among them, no civilian appears.
File closed as for the reports of Western journalists, whose subcontractor is the Ukrainian governor. The media would appreciate details about the alleged civilian victims. Such moving information would be valuable propaganda. But I guess Kyrylenko is a poor reporter.
The military context
Chasov Yar is about 15 km west of Artemovsk (Bakhmut for the Ukrainian administration). The current front line is about 30 km to east or south. The effective range of the Uragan is 35 km, maybe short, the launchers would be close, 5 km, to the front line. The weapons could be also ballistic or cruise missiles.
At noon, the Russian defense ministry states
[…] In addition, Russian Aerospace Forces have hit 3 command posts near Soledar, Min’kovka and Bakhmut in Donetsk People’s Republic, 16 areas of manpower and military equipment concentration, including Kraken [penal formation of Nazi Azov regiment] nationalist formation near Kharkov […]
An amateur video appears on social networks. The author is a nationalist volunteer within Pravyi Sektor (Right Sector) paramilitary organization, 2nd DUK battalion. The footage is showing the strike in Chasov Yar, two rockets or missiles. Another voice-over speaks in English, likely a mercenary
Any observer already knows that since February 24, in Donbass and Ukraine, the Ukrainian forces are usually garrisoning in residential buildings and other civilian facilities. And as far as I have observed, the Ukrainian forces are usually targeting civilians, in residential areas of Donbass, where no troops are stationed, no military value facilities are set.
The political exploitation
In the evening, Volodymyr Zelenskyy states
A missile strike at the city of Chasiv Yar in the Donetsk region. Everyone who gives orders for such strikes, everyone who carries them out targeting our ordinary cities, residential areas, kills absolutely deliberately. After such strikes, the will not be able to say they did not know something or did not understand something.
Punishment is inevitable for every Russian murderer. Absolutely everyone. Just as for the Nazis. And they should not expect that their State will protect them. Russia will be the first to abandon them when political circumstances change
I guess that the strike in Chasov Yar has seriously hurt the Ukrainian forces.
What do you think ?
The building was a garrison and a legitimate military target. The Russians have indeed demilitarized it. The Western broadcast of the Ukrainian propaganda is disinformation.
The day after, the Russian defense ministry states
High-precision ground-based weapons near Chasov Yar in Donetsk People’s Republic have destroyed temporary deployment point of 118th Brigade of Territorial Defence of AFU. The attack has resulted in the elimination of more than 300 nationalists
300 are huge, the Ukrainian anger is understandable.
The Ukrainian media provide the evidence of a military target on July 13, this publication for example
During the shelling of Chasiv Yar, soldiers from Ternopil Oblast [southwestern Ukraine] were killed – OVA head Volodymyr Trush
Great losses for Ternopil Oblast. On July 9, military personnel from our region were killed as a result of a massive rocket attack on the city of Chasiv Yar in Donetsk region. This was announced by the head of the regional military administration, Volodymyr Trush. The number of dead is being clarified. In particular, there is already information about the death of six residents of Ternopil: Mykola Vasyliovych Golubovych (born in 1978), Oleh Petrovich Khrushch (born in 1975), Yermakov Oleksiy Leonidovych (born in 1982), Yaroslav the Wise (born in 1972). n.), Viktor Ivanovych Goreida (born in 1977), Ivan Volodymyrovych Dudar (born in 1983) and three residents of the Berezhansk community: Vasyl Gayovoy, Andriy Polivany, Yuriy Grishaev